2.03.2009

Commit Already.

Today i was hunched over, running across the street towards the student union, when i looked up and saw a car about to hit me. So he slowed down, then i motioned for him to go, then he waited so i started to go, but he started to go just as soon as i did. We both were a bit indecisive, i suppose.

I was less frustrated by the fact that he almost hit me than by the little piece of paper in the corner of his windshield. A bumper sticker. Besides the painfully obvious fact that the sticky rectangular self-advertisement was not even on the bumper, there was also the little annoying (ooh, shooting myself in the foot if you've ever read my post about annoyance) fact that is was not, in any way, attached to the car. I mean, really, you buy a bumper sticker because you believe in a cause, but if you are so uncertain about whether or not you will believe in the cause you are advertising via your vehicle, why buy it in the first place? Perhaps bumper stickers just annoy me all together because the essential purpose of a bumper sticker is more of a self monologue than a conversation. If you believe in Jesus, or Obama, or pre-trib rapture, please don't tell me with your car. I have no way to respond, no way to ask questions, no way to tell if recently the car came under new ownership and is thus entirely misrepresenting the person who now occupies the driver's seat.

Interestingly enough, it is equally bothersome to me when a bumpersticker is permanently attached to a vehicle as it is if it just sits in the window, waiting to be removed.  The former instance seems to imply a self presentation tactic in which others must accept what you see to be true of yourself, driving, life, God, etc, and leaves no room for humility.  But on the other hand, if you can't even commit to putting a bumpersticker in your window, then how can you even commit to an idea at all?  Perhaps the temporary bumpersticker user attempts to remedy the prideful aspect of the bumpersticker by showing that their beliefs could be changed as quickly as a hand could remove a slip of paper from the dashboard, as long as someone would present a good case. Eh. 

OR MAYBE, the whole point of a bumper sticker and its permanent nature is to show that there are some things that are and will always be true of you and the way you see the world (what a silly way to show this).  Therefore, the whole idea of just placing a bumper sticker in your window to be taken out at a moments notice is self-defeating. Using something permanent in a transient manner.  Good idea, it just doesn't work, and it gives way less credibility to whatever the idea is that your are trying to purport.

All this to say, if you have a bumper sticker, you better be REAL ready to defend and live by the words or phrase that sit on your bumper permanently. And if you have a bumper sticker sitting, unattached to the car, maybe you should consider why you can't bring yourself to adhere it to the car in such a way that if you were to attempt to remove it, loads of forrest green paint would be removed with it.

Just a thought i had when i almost got hit by the most indecisive (in terms of driving AND ideas) person in history. (hyperbole)


What an odd way to re-enter the blog community. With talk of bumperstickers.
silly really.

5 comments:

Christiana said...

You make me smile.

I love the way you opened with indecisiveness we can all relate to ("You go." "No, you go..."), and then brilliantly launched your indictment of bumper stickers.

Well played, Ms. Annie.

(Does my commenting on your blogs make you feel like I'm your English teacher again...?)

Please keep writing.

annie.marie.dimond. said...

your commenting on my blogs TAKES ME BACK.

i just read some of my papers from your class the other day.

One was ANGRY. It was talking about hypocritical, judgmental, and legalistic school leadership. Thanks for listening to me vent for 800 or so words. Gosh. Animosity.

al said...

I was waiting for this day....finally a blog!

greatness.

(ps. is it weird I imagine an english accent when I read your blog?)

annie.marie.dimond. said...

alexandra, that is the most flattering thing you could ever say to me, since i generally picture myself in oxford when i blog

:)

and of course, when we take our backpacking trip through europe, we CAN, and will, sit at an internet cafe and do such things.

Christiana said...

I actually had my own animosity for hypocritical, judgmental, and legalistic school leadership - and had to force myself to cut back on the enthusiastic fist pumps as I read your fiery essay.

True story.